Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Haemorrhage


Dear Self
I need you to understand
Am writing this with so much agony
Because you are a part of me
For better or worse
I cant deny that fact
Now I need to let you know
Am writing you off
As my worst enemy
For you cause a lot of mischief
That distract me from the Way
You are shrew and manipulative
The mind with all its potential
Knowledge and intellectual master of reasoning
Is very much conscious of your being
But you manage to influence him
And convince the mind to forget
What is and what is not essential
Worst of all you sway the mind
Reasoning ability against me
To draw me away from my journey
You trick the mind into having discourse
With the heart causing them to collide
With each other hence doubt arise
You are so insensitive,
You need to learn from the heart
But then you are cunning
You manage to change the heart
Love into anger and hate
Happy into rage and envy
Joy into sorrow, Kindness into cruelty
How did you do that?
Why did you do that?
What are the benefits that you gain?
When will it stop or will it ever?
Self! I had enough
I shall restrain you
From doing all this thing to me
The heart and mind have to work harder
Keeping you in check
Until your self-ishness subside
I feel there is a hope for you and me
Insha-Allah

Sincerely yours,
Enemy

5 comments:

Tempest said...

This is really nice, it shows mans fight against the self, we are all victims of our 'self', not many people are aware of this fact only a few do,and the fact that one is aware of it then they can do something about it. Sometimes its so difficult to control and sometimes its difficult to distinguish the 'self' from who you are.

Theres this really nice prayer called 'the whispered prayers of the complainers' and in its opening it goes like this: 'My God, to Thee I complain of a soul commanding to evil, rushing to offenses, eager to disobey Thee, and exposing itself to Thy anger. It takes me on the roads of disasters, it makes me the easiest of perishers before Thee; many its pretexts, drawn out its expectations; when evil touches it, it is anxious, when good touches it, grudging; inclining to sport and diversion, full of heedlessness and inattention, it hurries me to misdeeds and makes me delay repentance.

It talks about the self, it makes one ashamed of that part of them, but with Gods help the self can be contained.

Back to your poem, i learnt alot from reading it and i particularly like the way you described how the self tricks the mind and so forth, very interesting the way yo uput it.
And thank you...im looking forward in reading more in the future until then may Allah be with you.

enemy said...

Thanks Tempest
for sharing the prayer. Its really nice.
I shall try to remember and hopeful able to memorise it soon : )

Anonymous said...

there is a monster in everyone of us......
ps-still not back yet i may extend my stay, work bah! what to do.

enemy said...

yes, fred keeping in check ok, bro. cheer up

Tempest said...

No problem, anytime. Actually i didnt copy and paste all of it down as it would of been a bit much, so here is the link:

http://www.duas.org/sajjadiya/dua70.htm

I hope you benefit from it, i like the part where it talks about the heart. I hope your well, keep up the writing :)